You’ve worked hard to afford your home. For you, your home serves as a place to relax, take shelter from outside elements, and spend quality time with those you love. The home is the place where you should feel safest. As much as you try to keep up with your residence, however, there could still be hidden dangers present that you aren’t aware of. When most people think of safeguarding their properties, they think about burglaries and fires. While those are both great places to start, there are other things that need to be considered.
Thousands of Americans are sent to the hospital each year as a direct result of carbon monoxide exposure. As it is an odorless gas, it can quickly lead to death if exposed for too long. It is very easy for it to be released into your house. You can find traces of carbon monoxide in your space heater, gas furnace, fireplaces, and water heaters. Outside of making sure that you keep these devices well-maintained, it is also recommended that you install carbon monoxide detectors on each level of your home.
Think those few bugs you saw crawling around your kitchen floor were harmless? Think again. Pests like roaches and mice are hazardous to your health. They carry disease throughout your home and multiply by the thousands. If you’ve been using store-bought pesticides (which can also be a hazard) to try and get rid of these pests with no such luck, it is recommended that you hire an expert. You can find service providers online like Moxie who does pest control in Utah and other surrounding areas to visit your home. Using safe measures, they can get rid of the pests for you and provide insights on how to prevent them from coming back such as fixing leaks, sealing up cracks, and removing trash.
The presence of mold is the house is never a good thing and puts everyone at risk. More than just looking and smelling bad, mold is toxic and can lead to a host of upper respiratory issues. You can reduce the development of mold in the home by keeping moist areas like the kitchen and bathroom as dry as possible when not in use. You should also do periodic inspections to check for plumbing leaks. If you have rooms in the house that aren’t properly ventilated, you may also need to invest in this to keep the humidity to a minimum. If there is mold already present in the home, it is best to hire a professional to remove it to reduce your risk of exposure.
Those sprays, powders, and solutions you’ve purchased to keep the house looking and smelling clean could actually be hazardous to your health. Many cleaners contain volatile organic compounds or VOCs. If inhaled or absorbed through the skin, VOCs can cause issues like eye irritation, headaches, and sore throats. You should ditch your old cleaners and switch to cleaners that have sodium citrate or silicate which has been proven to be non-toxic. You might also try your hand at making your own cleaners using fresh and organic supplies you have around the house.
Carpets are nice and are often found in residential properties. While carpeted floors can help improve household efficiency, they can also be the source for toxins and bacteria lingering in your house. Carpets cling to dust, debris, pet dander, bacteria, mold, and more without your knowledge. What may appear clean on the surface is actually very grungy underneath. You will need to maintain your carpets properly by vacuuming regularly and deep cleaning at least every few months.
If you happen to live in a house that was built prior to 1970, there is a real possibility that you have traces of lead in the home. Used as a component in paint, lead poisoning can be very problematic for younger children. You will need to have the paint tested and removed to ensure their overall well-being.
Whether you live in an apartment, rancher, or multi-level home, these health hazards could be lurking. While it may be impossible or expensive to try and rid your entire house of every risk, you should pay close attention to those that can cause adverse health effects. Start with smaller projects and work your way up as your budget allows. Remember, when removing toxins contacting the experts is always the better option.